Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Everybody Hurts Sometimes...






Life is wonderful and so full of joy and opportunity and beauty and hope.  But life can pack a punch sometimes too.  One of the biggest blessings of having a child with a very apparent nonconformity is that the masks are ripped away within a millisecond of meeting us.

You see my family....and you know.  You know that I know what pain and loss and heartache are.  You know that reality has come to live with me and that I am not a pretender.  You know that I know your secret....I know that you have a hurt.  I know that everybody has a hurt.  I know that none of us are impervious to pain and that if we are to live and love then we will experience heart rending loss.  It is profound knowledge and oh so powerful.  The understanding that I have of the hurt you hide drives a lot of people away from our family.  It is difficult to be real when our culture demands we hide behind thick masks of perfection.  

I have found though that the perfect mask is heavy and hard to carry every single day.  I have found that hurt and heartbreak bring a capacity for compassion and gratitude that is unfathomable.  I have found that my hurt focuses my heart to more clearly see beauty and hope.  

My very favorite Bible verse is John 16:33....Jesus is comforting his disciples.  His words...

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace.  In this world you will have trouble.  But take heart!  I have overcome the world."

I love you dear friends!  I can cling to the One who has overcome the world...and my hurt.  I can find peace and comfort and heart in Jesus' love and his promise...for Isaac. 

No comments:

Post a Comment