Monday, March 17, 2014

Wandering towards Happy Laughter

I knew when I was 10 what I would name a son. I was reading through Genesis…not so unheard of when your dad is a Methodist minister…and I came upon the names separate from each other but still related. Isaac means Laughter and Asher means Happy. If I ever had a son, I would name him Happy Laughter- Isaac Asher. That moment was so full of promise.

Many years later, I married my college sweetheart and we had a son. Isaac Asher was here. My Happy Laughter had arrived. Things turned out much differently than I ever could have imagined. Isaac has indeed brought lots of joy…but the road has been a lot more rocky than I ever could have imagined. My journey with Isaac has certainly not been the one I had expected. And yet, I think back to that original story of Isaac and his mama Sarah. Her journey with her son wasn’t what she expected either. She had been given a direct promise that her husband was going to have many children….which would mean that she would have many children…or so she thought. She traveled, she waited, she prayed, she hoped…but the babies did not come. She doubted, she was frustrated, I think she even got mad a time or two…and then she realized that God was in control. She saw his plans carried through and she had her Isaac. Motherhood for Sarah was vastly different than what she presumed it would be. I get that completely. My journey has been very different than anything laid out in What to Expect When You’re Expecting. I blaze new trails as a mom every day. It’s indescribably hard and I am sometimes tempted to despair…but it hasn’t been boring. I have become so cognizant of seemingly small blessings and my life has been richer for it. It has taken years and it’s still a work in progress…but I find joy and laughter in this different journey of motherhood. More on that later …. This joyously different journey still brings the same amount of laundry:)

No comments:

Post a Comment